Re: HTTP/2 extensions and proxies

Let me state my preferences in order:
A) The proxy (or server or client) advertises that it allows or disallows
non-standard probably via ALPN/NPN string.
  Endpoints ignore any frame-type they don't understand.

When the proxy has advertised that it uses the standard protocol version:
   No party shall create non-standard frames which, if dropped, would cause
any desynchronization errors.
   Proxies may drop what they see fit.

When the proxy (client/server, whatever) have advertised that it allows
non-standard protocol versions:
   Cients/servers may create non-standard frames.
   Proxies must not not modify any frame they don't understand.

B) Frames which have traversed a proxy are marked as having traversed a
proxy by flipping a bit.
  Endpoints ignore any frame-type they don't understand.
  Endpoints receiving point-to-point frames with this bit flipped must
ignore the frame.
  Proxies need not examine frame contents, except to flip this bit.

C)  Frames are marked with either hop-by-hop or end-to-end.
  Endpoints ignore any frame-type they don't understand.
  Proxies must examine frame contents and remove all hop-by-hop frames.

B or C are potentially helpful, but, in and of themselves don't solve the
fundamental problem:

Assuming that endpoints ignore any frame-type they don't understand (which
seems required without a central registry for extensions and corresponding
increase in handshake time or exponential blowup of ALPN/NPN strings), then
the main problem is really ensuring that nothing bad happens when such
frames are ignored and that, when frames successfully traverse a proxy,
then they will continue to successfully traverse that proxy.
Thus, a means of signaling the intent of the proxy (or server, whatever) to
allow extensions/experiments to traverse (or not) is interesting.

-=R