Re: Minimizing/avoiding User-Agent, was: SPDY Header Frames

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 16:06:19 -0400
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@laposte.net>
Nicolas,

interesting but I would like to understand the issues you are having.

Le 17 juil. 2012 à 15:23, Nicolas Mailhot a écrit :
> Le Mar 17 juillet 2012 21:03, Julian Reschke a écrit :
>> Could you elaborate? What kind of misbehavior are you referring to?
>
> Typical misbehaviour is inability to cope with intermediary-inserted redirect and error codes, and retrying in a loop

Do you have a precise example of such an issue?

> Then you get the web clients that try to interpret error pages

which clients?

> Then you get the 'pump as much as you can' web client that will starve everything else.

which clients, which circumstances?

> It's usually less invasive to blacklist or limit just the specific
> troublesome client

seen from the client side. Note that it happens quite often that people use a "regular user agent" to run a spambot. So the user agent string is not an absolute signature of the user agent behind.

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/
Developer Relations, Opera Software