Re: New Version Notification for draft-tbray-http-legally-restricted-status-00.txt

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 08:16:00 -0700
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Yeah, if you look at RFC2616 sections 10.4 (4xx) and 10.5 (5xx), you can
make a good case that it doesn’t belong in either.   I just don’t believe
you can make a bullet-proof argument for either range.

The reasons I currently favor 4xx are:

- Lots of client software simply tries to sweep 5xx errors under the carpet
(“Something went terribly wrong upstream, don’t bother your pretty little
head”)
- I liked the value 451

-T