Re: New Version Notification for draft-tbray-http-legally-restricted-status-00.txt

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 22:35:12 -0700
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
On Jun 12, 2012, at 9:34 AM, Tim Bray wrote:

> Aaaaaaaand, it turns out MNot was right; I checked with an expert, and 451 is heavily used for “redirect” in the Msft ecosystem, notably including HotMail’s hundreds of millions of users.  Consider it “4xx” (which I would still argue for as opposed to 5xx).  -T

4xx indicates an error by the user or user agent.  I don't see
any reason (aside from literary) that would justify using a 4xx
code for this.  5xx is typically used for non-authoritative
be different if the user agent chose a different intermediary
or tried again later.  Hence, 5xx makes more sense here.

....Roy