Re: multiplexing -- don't do it

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 18:04:48 -0400
Cc: "Roberto Peon" <grmocg@gmail.com>, "Mike Belshe" <mike@belshe.com>, "Amos Jeffries" <squid3@treenet.co.nz>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: "Adrien W. de Croy" <adrien@qbik.com>

On 02/04/2012, at 5:48 PM, Adrien W. de Croy wrote:

> you ever worked on an ISP support desk?
>
> These are people who can hardly use a mouse you're trying to get them to set up proxy config in their browser?

I've been convinced for a long time that we need to improve both proxy.pac and wpad if we want to get rid of interception proxies.

Incomplete issues list:
  - no way to specify timeouts (for a request, for a connection to a proxy, between read()s, etc.)
  - no way to control retry behaviour
  - visibility into cache errors, with control over how they're handled
  - limited view of connection state
  - no visibility into cache availability (up/down, ping times)
  - need more sophisticated load balancing (right now it has to be kludged)

Regards,

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/