Re: part 1 section 4.1.2 - authority form

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 13:05:34 +0200 (CEST)
To: Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>
On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> Part 2 on CONNECT appears to document this as wrong, but uses port 80 which
> is a little bit ambiguous given that CONNECT are usually used for 443. Am I
> right in assuming that it means the port is always required on CONNECT
> request Host: headers? (despite the obvious redundancy).

Many years ago we had curl include the port number unconditionally in Host:
headers, only to switch it off again since there were too many proxies/servers
out there that didn't like Host: headers with the default port given.

In short: when doing HTTPS (CONNECT) curl doesn't include port 443 in the
Host: header.

When doing HTTP, curl doesn't include port 80 in the Host: header.

--

  / daniel.haxx.se