part 1 section 4.1.2 - authority form

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 22:39:31 +1200
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
I have just run up against how Firefox are sending Host: in proxied
HTTPS requests.

  CONNECT example.com:443 HTTP/1.1
  Host: example.com

Part 2 on CONNECT appears to document this as wrong, but uses port 80
which is a little bit ambiguous given that CONNECT are usually used for 443.
  Am I right in assuming that it means the port is always required on
CONNECT request Host: headers? (despite the obvious redundancy).

While looking it up I also came across a bit of a contradiction in part
1 section "4.1.2 request target".

It has a one liner on the use of authority:

   The "authority form" is only used by the CONNECT request method

the following paragraph contains a MUST which contradicts that statement:

   the authority component MUST be transmitted in a Host header field

I'm thinking the wording there needs a small tweak to bring them into line:

  The "authority form" is only used by the CONNECT request method and
Host: header.

AYJ