Re: #231: Considerations for new headers

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 13:54:10 +1000
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, httpbis Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>

On 30/06/2011, at 5:52 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>> Can a new header field affect caching?
>
> If not, we should say so.
>
> ...not that I think that will have any effect.

I really don't want to start walking down the route of specifying what can't affect caching; we'll quickly get into phases of the moon, and the people who would benefit most from that won't be reading the spec anyway.

p6 lays out how HTTP caching works according to a set of rules; if someone wants to override those rules, that's great, but they can't expect people who have never heard of their extension to know about it. Thankfully, reality will teach them pretty quickly.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/