Re: #147: header-specific canonicalisation

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 09:49:25 +0100
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
CC: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 04.03.2010 09:17, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Mar 3, 2010, at 5:05 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Note:
>>
>>    If a header field is absent from a request, it can only match another
>>    request if it is also absent there.
>>
>> Is that still true? I don't think; maybe we can remove the sentence completely?
>
> Yes, it is still true.
>
>     Accept:
>
> means accept nothing (give me a 300 instead).  No Accept header means
> accept everything.

I do agree for "Accept".

But a header *could* have a normalization behaviour, where the presence
of an empty header and the absence of the header field have the same
semantics. (Not a good idea, probably, but that doesn't matter here).

In that case, a header-field specific normalization should allow to
treat them as matching, no?

Best regards, Julian