Re: #184: HTTP/0.9

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 22:34:37 +0200
To: Dan Winship <dan.winship@gmail.com>
CC: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Dan Winship wrote:
> On 08/10/2009 04:06 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>>    It is beyond the scope of a protocol specification to mandate
>>    compliance with previous versions.  HTTP/1.1 was deliberately
>>    designed, however, to make supporting previous versions easy.  It is
>>    worth noting that, at the time of composing this specification, we
>>    would expect commercial HTTP/1.1 servers to:
>
> Why "commercial" here, but not in the client text below? Maybe
> "general-purpose HTTP/1.1 servers"?

Sounds good to me.

>>    o  recognize the format of the Request-Line for HTTP/1.0 and 1.1
>>       requests;
>>
>>    o  understand any valid request in the format of HTTP1.0 and 1.1;
>
> with the removal of 0.9, there's no need to call out the Request-Line
> for special treatment. The second bullet point covers it. (Except that
> you're missing a "/" in "HTTP1.0".) Likewise for Status-Line in the
> client text.

Right. New proposed change:
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/attachment/ticket/184/184.2.diff>,
changing the text to:

-- snip --
    It is beyond the scope of a protocol specification to mandate
    compliance with previous versions.  HTTP/1.1 was deliberately
    designed, however, to make supporting previous versions easy.  It is
    worth noting that, at the time of composing this specification, we
    would expect general-purpose HTTP/1.1 servers to:

    o  understand any valid request in the format of HTTP/1.0 and 1.1;

    o  respond appropriately with a message in the same major version
       used by the client.

    And we would expect HTTP/1.1 clients to:

    o  understand any valid response in the format of HTTP/1.0 or 1.1.

    For most implementations of HTTP/1.0, each connection is established
    by the client prior to the request and closed by the server after
    sending the response.  Some implementations implement the Keep-Alive
    version of persistent connections described in Section 19.7.1 of
    [RFC2068].
-- snip --

>>    o  respond appropriately with a message in the same major version
>>       used by the client.
>
> Maybe we should absorb some of the text from RFC 2145 (Use and
> Interpretation of HTTP Version Numbers) here too?

I assume this would repeat text from earlier sections; but it's too late
over here (== I'm too lazy too...) to check...

BR, Julian