Content/Transfer-Codings organization/IANA considerations (issue 143, 188, 189)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:25:54 +0200
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Hi,

I just spent some time looking at issue 143, which is about updating
both IANA registration procedures and the registry contents.

While doing that, I noticed that there are more changes we should do:

1) find an RFC 5226 defined IANA policy for the registration

Note that <http://www.iana.org/assignments/http-parameters> currently says:

"First Come First Served with specification recommended"

while RFC 2616 did state:

"New content-coding value tokens SHOULD be registered; to allow
interoperability between clients and servers, specifications of the
content coding algorithms needed to implement a new value SHOULD be
publicly available and adequate for independent implementation, and
conform to the purpose of content coding defined in this section."

(so no mention of first come first serve)

(new issue: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/188>)

2) After splitting the spec we define gzip/compress/deflate in Part 3,
although they can also act as Transfer-Codings (Part 1). Moving them
into Part 1 would thus put them all into a single place.

(new issue: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/189>)