Issue 189, Re: Content/Transfer-Codings organization/IANA considerations (issue 143, 188, 189)

Julian Reschke wrote:
> 2) After splitting the spec we define gzip/compress/deflate in Part 3,
> although they can also act as Transfer-Codings (Part 1). Moving them
> into Part 1 would thus put them all into a single place.
>
> (new issue: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/189>)

Done with revision
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/changeset/673>.

There was One More Thing related to Transfer and Content Codings we
discussed in Stockholm: the individual codings are really independent of
the context they are used in, as RFC 2616 already stated:

"Although the value describes the content-coding, what is more important
is that it indicates what decoding mechanism will be required to remove
the encoding." --
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#rfc.section.3.5.p.3>

So they really should be defined separately from Transfer-Coding and
Content-Coding, and be collected in the same registry (surprise: IANA
already has both in "http-parameters").

Feedback appreciated...

BR, Julian