Re: #90: multipart/byteranges

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:12:39 -0800
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>

On Dec 10, 2008, at 5:38 PM, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> ons 2008-12-10 klockan 17:25 -0800 skrev Roy T. Fielding:
>
>> I say "no" -- close the loophole and remove any notion that multipart
>> delimits message framing.
>
> Unfortunately that's not entirely an option. We need to have parsers
> still understand this delimiting of 206 responses as they are in
> widespread use and specified so in 2616 (and 2068).

They aren't used that way.  I don't know of any implementation
that uses the multipart delimiter to find the end of body (they
use CL, chunked, or a closed connection).

> But I am entirely fine with denying servers from using this method of
> delimiting and instead wrap multipart/byteranges in chunked encoding,
> and keeping the parser requirements only for compatibility with
> earlier
> HTTP/1.1 specifiations.

I am entirely fine with removing multiple byteranges as a feature,
since I regard it as a DoS problem, but that's another matter.

....Roy