Re: #90: multipart/byteranges

From: Dan Winship <dan.winship@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:47:24 -0500
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
CC: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> They aren't used that way.  I don't know of any implementation
> that uses the multipart delimiter to find the end of body (they
> use CL, chunked, or a closed connection).

And even if they wanted to, they couldn't, because the handful of
existing server implementations of multipart/byteranges-delimited
CRLF. (About 3/4 use a CRLF and 1/4 don't. If you carefully compare part
3, 3.3.2 against the multipart-body grammar in RFC 2046, it probably
says that the minority is correct here, and the CRLF is forbidden.)

So another vote for banning the special byteranges-delimited response
type. And Part 3, 3.3.2 also needs to be revisited.

-- Dan