Re: IRIs, IDNAbis, and HTTP

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:26:59 +0100
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
CC: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Personally, I am *very* -1 on doing this.
>
> Changing the allowable characters in a protocol element is a *big*
> change, and there is not an interoperability gain to doing so.
>
> There is also not a functionality gain; it is possible (if not pretty)
> to serialise other characters into HTTP headers.

I think the key question here: is that implemented in practice? (In
particular, which encoding?) If yes, fine (and maybe let's document what
works). But if not...?

> Furthermore, HTTP headers for the most part don't carry user-visible
> data, and when they do, it's often an IRI, for which there is a
> well-understood serialisation into header-safe characters.

None of the usages in RFC2616 is a IRI (by definition :-).

And, as Brian observed, IRI->URI mapping is not sufficient if you need
to *exactly* reconstruct the original IRI (such as when the IRI is used
as a name, e.g. an Atom link relation).

BR, Julian