Re: IRIs, IDNAbis, and HTTP

Brian Smith wrote:
> Thank you. I read the BNF for TEXT many times but I've always overlooked
> the accompanying text. The RFC 2047 mechanism is truly horrible but I

Isn't it :-)

BTW: "Words of *TEXT MAY contain characters from character sets other
than ISO-8859-1 [22] only when encoded according to the rules of RFC
2047 [14]." really is incorrect and should be rephrased.

> guess it satisfies the requirements.

If it works in practice.

> What is an accurate BNF grammar for TEXT? It is not clear to me how I am
> supposed to parse a quoted-string that contains "=?" but which is not a
> valid encoded-word.

Good point. Are recipients of TEXT-typed header contents supposed to
always run the value through an RFC2047 parser?

BR, Julian