Re: i24: Requiring Allow in 405 responses

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:25:07 +1100
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

> It seems to me it would be unwise to say "clients SHOULD believe the
> Allow header", but "servers MAY leave of methods".
>
> If we relax the requirement for the production, we also need to
> relax the requirement for the recipient.

How about

Clients SHOULD believe the Allow header
Servers SHOULD send a complete Allow header

with weasel words on both sides to clarify that the client may try
other ones in cases where it has external information / has explicit
user input, and the servers may leave off methods for security, access
control, or implementation reasons?