Re: i24: Requiring Allow in 405 responses

From: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:08:59 +0100
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>

Am 29.02.2008 um 00:25 schrieb Mark Nottingham:

> On 28/02/2008, at 11:26 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>
>> It seems to me it would be unwise to say "clients SHOULD believe
>> the Allow header", but "servers MAY leave of methods".
>>
>> If we relax the requirement for the production, we also need to
>> relax the requirement for the recipient.
>

> How about
>
> Clients SHOULD believe the Allow header
> Servers SHOULD send a complete Allow header

"SHOULD believe" is a new one to me.

How about describing the Server requirements and leaving it at that?
Those rebel clients that just try methods, well, we could add a:
"server SHOULD be able to handle methods not listed in their Allow
header responses". But that is underestimating the reader, or?

//Stefan

--
<green/>bytes GmbH, Hafenweg 16, D-48155 Münster, Germany
Amtsgericht Münster: HRB5782