RE: HTTP 2.0: Request from server to clients at persistent connection

Thanks for the link to mod_mailbox - I hadn't thought anyone had built
efficient connection management extensions for this sort of thing. I'll
definitely take a look.

For low latency delivery, I've used an approach where the client sends a GET
(looking for new messages) and the server doesn't send any response but
keeps the connection open until new messages arrive. The client then
receives the messages fairly soon after the server sends the response. This
type of approach requires a server that can handle lots of open connections
(essentially, not one thread per socket...)
See http://www.searchalert.net/xmlrouter/ and
http://www.searchalert.net/xmlrouter/events/chat.html?topic=hello-world