Re: HTTP 2.0: Request from server to clients at persistent connection

From: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 23:11:39 +0100
Cc: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>, <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: ϊΙΝΑΛΟΧ πΑΧΕΜ <pavel.zimakoff@gmail.com>

On Jan 18 2008, at 10:55, ϊΙΝΑΛΟΧ πΑΧΕΜ wrote:

> - Back request: from a server to clients.

There are a lot of systems out there doing this with HTTP today.
is a nice introduction on the subject (Alex Russell calls this
"COMET", I prefer to call it real-time AJAX).

There are even server extensions to cope with the resulting large load
of connections waiting for new data.
is an example for this.

Given ugly realities such as NAT timeouts, simple polling is the right
solution for most HTTP applications that need to push updates from a
server.  For the ones that need a combination of low latency and
limited bitrate/server load, the solutions mentioned work well.  As an
is an old demo I wrote for a synchronized slide presenter.

Gruesse, Carsten