Re: HTTP 2.0: Request from server to clients at persistent connection

From: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 23:11:39 +0100
Cc: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>, <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: ϊΙΝΑΛΟΧ πΑΧΕΜ <pavel.zimakoff@gmail.com>

On Jan 18 2008, at 10:55, ϊΙΝΑΛΟΧ πΑΧΕΜ wrote:

> - Back request: from a server to clients.

There are a lot of systems out there doing this with HTTP today.
http://alex.dojotoolkit.org/?p=545
is a nice introduction on the subject (Alex Russell calls this
"COMET", I prefer to call it real-time AJAX).

There are even server extensions to cope with the resulting large load
of connections waiting for new data.
http://blog.lighttpd.net/articles/2006/11/27/comet-meets-mod_mailbox
is an example for this.

Given ugly realities such as NAT timeouts, simple polling is the right
solution for most HTTP applications that need to push updates from a
server.  For the ones that need a combination of low latency and
limited bitrate/server load, the solutions mentioned work well.  As an
example,
http://tzi.org:2000/s6.html
is an old demo I wrote for a synchronized slide presenter.

Gruesse, Carsten