Re: HTML5 vs content type sniffing

From: David Morris <dwm@xpasc.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 20:47:07 -0800 (PST)
cc: <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Following that reasoning, people wouldn't adopt IE7 instead of IE6. But
> they do. May be not as many and as happily as Microsoft would like, but
> they do.

Hard to avoid for the average user if they receive a new computer and
discover that even though they have carefully chosen XP Pro as the OS, the
vendor has upgraded their Office version and IE version.

I also encounter mandatory upgrades to critical business software which
demand an newer version of OS or IE than I would choose on my own.

Informed consent is marginal in this space.

Dave Morris