Re: Unknown text/* subtypes [i20]

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 14:16:42 +1100
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
To: Frank Ellermann <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com>

Personally -- I agree; the only sane thing to do here seems to be to
remove HTTP defaulting.

The simplest thing seems to be to remove this text;

> When no explicit charset parameter is provided by the sender, media
> subtypes of the "text" type are defined to have a default charset
> value of "ISO-8859-1" when received via HTTP.

BUT, note the following text:

> Data in character sets other than "ISO-8859-1" or its subsets MUST
> be labeled with an appropriate charset value.

Depending on how you read the context, this would need to be restated
as something like:

"Media subtypes of the "text" type MUST be labeled with an appropriate
charset value."

As I think I've said before, requiring this often leads to
mislabelling, because (for example) a Web server administrator will
set an unrealistic policy like "all of our content is UTF-8",
configure headers to suit, forgetting some legacy content on the site
that's in a different encoding.

My preference would be to soften this to a SHOULD, so that in cases
where it's administratively difficult for people to set a charset
value, conflicting statements aren't made. I'd rather have the
metadata be explicitly missing than wrong.