Re: i22: ETags on PUT responses

From: Werner Baumann <werner.baumann@onlinehome.de>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 22:01:57 +0100
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
CC: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Julian Reschke wrote:
> Werner Baumann wrote:
>>
>> Other examples? Clients that just know about RFC 4918 and that use
>> simple WebDAV-servers like Apache/mod_dav/mod_dav_fs or IIS for
>> distributed authoring. They will never be able to make use of etags in
>> PUT-responses, when it is defined according to your proposal.
>
> You are still focused on HTTP-as-a-filesystem-replacement. That's really
> only one use case.

Didn't know that distributed authoring is the same as
"HTTP-as-a-filesystem-replacement". Besides, my opinion on that matter
is well documented in the davfs2-README-file. You might have looked at
e.g.
http://dav.cvs.sourceforge.net/dav/davfs2/README?revision=1.27&view=markup
before inventing my opinion by your own.
As I understand, making up of offending nonsense like "You are still
focused on HTTP-as-a-filesystem-replacement." is meant to terminate
communication. Agreed.

Werner