RE: Unknown text/* subtypes [i20]

From: Robert Brewer <fumanchu@aminus.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 09:48:24 -0800
To: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>, "Frank Ellermann" <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com>
Cc: <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Personally -- I agree; the only sane thing to do here seems to be to
> remove HTTP defaulting.
>
> The simplest thing seems to be to remove this text;
>
> > When no explicit charset parameter is provided by the sender, media
> > subtypes of the "text" type are defined to have a default charset
> > value of "ISO-8859-1" when received via HTTP.
>
> BUT, note the following text:
>
> > Data in character sets other than "ISO-8859-1" or its subsets MUST
> > be labeled with an appropriate charset value.
>

> Depending on how you read the context, this would need to be restated
> as something like:
>
> "Media subtypes of the "text" type MUST be labeled with an appropriate
> charset value."
>
> As I think I've said before, requiring this often leads to
> mislabelling, because (for example) a Web server administrator will
> set an unrealistic policy like "all of our content is UTF-8",
> configure headers to suit, forgetting some legacy content on the site
> that's in a different encoding.
>
> My preference would be to soften this to a SHOULD, so that in cases
> where it's administratively difficult for people to set a charset
> value, conflicting statements aren't made. I'd rather have the
> metadata be explicitly missing than wrong.

Except that administrative difficulties lead to complaints which lead to
fixed software where nothing else seems to. As a server implementor, I'm
tired of guessing charsets on request bodies [1]. I'd much rather see a
MUST so the conversation fails in a way that clearly fixes blame, even
though I may choose to work around it.

Robert Brewer
CherryPy Team
fumanchu@aminus.org