Re: Public Suffix List

Gervase Markham wrote:
> Adrien de Croy wrote:
>
>> I see it creating a large administrative burden on many people, but
>> never catching up with the current state.  I see people relying on it
>> for all manner of things for which it's not designed.
>>

> That's their problem.

it will become their customers problem.

>> Also you're
>> dealing with organisations whose prime focus is not maintaining your
>> list.  You might get some initial enthusiasm to start, but down the
>> track I see that waning.
>>

> Their incentive to keep the list up to date is that sites in their TLD
> will be treated correctly by browsers, which will keep their customers
> happy.
>

>> This is all being proposed to _enable_ cross-site cookies (as opposed to
>> just blocking or warning the user)..
>>

> No. It's being proposed to *disable* cross-site cookies which we
> currently enable because we have no good way to prevent. Along with
> other UI applications in the areas of:

I disagree.  If you were really wanting to disable cross-site cookies,
you wouldn't need any of this, you'd just block them in the browser.

This is fundamentally enabling in a restricted mode, which is enabling,
not disabling.

> - History
> - Download Manager
> - UI display of responsible domain for SSL DV certs
>   (this isn't switched on by default in Firefox 3)
>

>> As for privacy, if an issuer of a cookie prescribes the realms within
>> which that cookie may be submitted, then privacy falls under the control
>> of the cookie-issuing site.  A compliant browser won't submit it outside
>> those realms.
>>

> The problem is sites conspiring against a user to damage the user's
> privacy and track them across multiple sites.

this can be done regardless.  Site A gets request from client, submits
request back to site mentioned in referer tag.  Client not involved
except for transporting the referer information.

Adrien