Re: [DNSOP] Public Suffix List

From: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 16:51:02 -0700
To: Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us>, Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org, ietf-http-wg@w3.org

At 3:02 PM -0700 6/9/08, Doug Barton wrote:
>I'm also not sure you quite understand the magnitude of the task you're
>undertaking. It's a matter of fact that any sentence including the
>phrase "all TLDs" is doomed from the start. :)  You're dealing with a
>wide variety of business models (often with competing interests),
>policies, levels of technical ability, levels of operating capacity, and
>dare I say it, personalities. You will never get full cooperation, and
>as you can see by Stephane's response you will definitely irritate at
>least some of the TLD operators with this change. You might want to
>rethink socializing this concept before you launch.

Directly related to this is Mozilla's TLD-based IDN settings that Kim
Davies mentioned at
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg06140.html>.
If you go to the Mozilla page listed in that message, you will notice
that a few TLDs that allow IDNs have not registered with Mozilla for
various reasons (*cough* *cough* .com, .ru,
.many-countries-in-the-arab-speaking-world, ...). This is reasonably
good and local proof that Mozilla asking TLDs for information for
this new registry is likely to result in incomplete information for
many important TLDs.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium