Re: [DNSOP] Public Suffix List

From: Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 16:57:32 +0100
To: David Conrad <drc@virtualized.org>
CC: dnsop@ietf.org, ietf-http-wg@w3.org

David Conrad wrote:
>> however, my view is that getting comprehensive buy-in
>> would take quite a lot more time and effort than this method.
>
> is the common excuse that results in lots of broken crap on the
> Internet.  It is sad to see the same mistake repeated again and again.

Prove me wrong, then. You can send a message to the Technical Contacts
of all 284 domains (I can supply you with a list) saying "Please set up
a resilient, highly-available web service to provide current data on
your registration structure." See what sort of reaction you get.

>>> How can non-TLD's get into this list!?
>> Just by asking; I already got an email from CentralNIC.
>
> If there is no vetting, doesn't this defeat the purpose?

Who says there's no vetting?

How does adding e.g. CentralNIC defeat the purpose? In some ways, it is
the purpose; CentralNIC customers will no longer be able to conspire to
damage users privacy, and if users accidentally mis-set cookies, other
CentralNIC customers can't steal them.

Gerv