Re: [DNSOP] Public Suffix List

From: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 17:24:27 +0100
To: Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@commandprompt.com>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org, dnsop@ietf.org

Gervase Markham wrote:
> This isn't just about cookies. For example, we would like to group
> together related sites (www.mybank.co.uk, accounts.mybank.co.uk) in
> history. Grouping together all sites in ".co.uk" does not provide for an
> optimum user experience.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate for MyBank to _itself_ say the history
for these sites should be grouped?  E.g. in an HTTP response header,
or DNS record for mybank.co.uk?

Also, wouldn't DNS generally be the appropriate mechanism to say what
grouping relationships there are under $DOMAIN?  After all, the
administrative control for the grouping info which you are maintaining
for *.$DOMAIN, and DNS for *.$DOMAIN, are the same.

-- Jamie