Re: PROPOSAL: i99 Pipelining Problems

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 12:20:20 +1000
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>

Agreed; listing the bugs present in implementations isn't useful. What
may be useful is noting that there do seem to be a high proportion of
bugs in deployed implementations, and so clients using pipelining need
to exercise a fair amount of caution.

So, here's a straw-man to add to p1 7.1.2.2:

"Some early implementations of HTTP/1.1 servers and proxies have been
noted to implement pipelining incorrectly, and some commonly-deployed
(if not spec-compliant) devices may interfere with its correct
operation. Clients choosing to send pipelined requests on the open
Internet should, as a result, do so cautiously."