Re: PROPOSAL: i99 Pipelining Problems

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 11:15:23 +0200
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2008, at 6:00 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>>
>> Hmm.
>>
>> Any volunteers for providing spec-ready text?
>
> "Shit happens.  Deal with it."
>
> Seriously, there is no reason to specify all the possible ways
> in which messages might get lost on an unreliable connection.
> The only thing I would change is to resurrect my original design
> for the Keep-Alive header, which indicates how many more requests
> are allowed on a given persistent connection.  The others are just

Are you referring to the stuff discussed in
<http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/ange/archives/archives-95/http-wg-archive/index.html#1661>?

> single point, non-reproducible bugs.

Right.

One point of confusion that comes up from time to time is the issue of
ordering -- can a client that sends pipelined requests rely on the
results arriving in the same order.

My understanding of the spec is "yes, of course", but I recall people
arguing otherwise.

BR, Julian