Re: Suggestion for NEW Issue: Pipelining problems

From: Stefanos Harhalakis <v13@priest.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 23:14:11 +0300
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

On Wednesday 25 July 2007, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> I've been wondering about this for a little while, and would very
> much like to see more work in this area. One of the interesting
> questions is how you'd layer HTTP-over-SCTP onto the existing Web;
> Upgrade doesn't quite meet the requirement (it's a whole new
> connection). Seems like one more piece of site-wide metadata to
> advertise...

  Why one would want to implement "HTTP over SCTP"? AFAIK SCTP is not meant
for this kind of usage. HTTP connections are short lived and have a strict
requirement for ordered data delivery. They also seem to better match
the 'stream' instead of the 'message' notion. AFAICS, SCTP should be used for
long (or at least longer than HTTP) lived sessions that communicate using
messages instead of a stream and possibly don't require ordered data
delivery.