Re: Suggestion for NEW Issue: Pipelining problems

From: David Morris <dwm@xpasc.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 14:42:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> I've been wondering about this for a little while, and would very
> much like to see more work in this area. One of the interesting
> questions is how you'd layer HTTP-over-SCTP onto the existing Web;
> Upgrade doesn't quite meet the requirement (it's a whole new
> connection). Seems like one more piece of site-wide metadata to
> advertise...

Could easily be used between clients and pre-configured proxy servers. For
example mobile clients where the whole execution space is pretty tightly
controlled. This might vastly improve the mobile user's experience while
not requiring a wide roll out to have significant impact.

Might also use a different port so client discovery via a simple probe
would be sufficient. Not overly burdensom on any modern client platform to
remember whether a given server supports SCTP ... at least over the next
hour or two.

Dave Morris