RE: Redirection of a POST as a GET

From: Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 22:31:18 -0500
To: "'Julian Reschke'" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "'David Morris'" <dwm@xpasc.com>, "'Adrien de Croy'" <adrien@qbik.com>, <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Julian Reschke wrote:
> If a server redirects POST request from /a to /b *on the same
> server*, blame the server.

Why would I blame the server?  redirects POST requests allow the IA to
evolve and not require a server to be littered with lots of special rules
nearly as long as otherwise.

> It could easily let the request on
> /a succeed, or shouldn't have exposed /a in the first place.

Restructuring the IA can created these situation, and maintaining legacy
URIs makes for increased complexity that will likely never get cleaned up
given your scenarios.

> You know, Cool URIs Do Not Change.

But we all know that URIs *do* change and that pro-hibition is almost never
an effective solution. Better to accomdate the reasons why URIs change and
make the changes invisible to the users.

--
-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/