Re: Straw-man charter

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 15:44:29 +0100
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 12:23:45 +0100, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
>>> Additionally, the working group may produce one or more test suites
>>> for HTTP conformance, if there is sufficient interest.
>>  I actually think this and maybe two interoperable implementations in
>> popular browsers of the whole specification should be a requirement.
>> Probably also for the server side of things. Otherwise the real issues
>> probably never get fixed and deferred with arguments like: "We'll just
>> wait until they get their act together..."
> I think I strongly disagree. Requiring that things are indeed completely
> implemented will either result in lots of stuff being taken out, or the
> spec never be done.

If that's indeed the result something is clearly wrong with the current
specification. What's the use of a specification which authors and
implementors can't actually rely on?

> So what *are* the real issues, then? Have they been raised over here?

I raised one (which was quickly rejected even though multiple people
indicated it could not be implemented...), but there are others. Such as
redirection of a POST as a GET etc. I'm not aware of a full list though,
but such a list would probably become apparent once you start doing actual

Anne van Kesteren