HTTP status code registry, was: Status 102, Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-decroy-http-progress-00.txt]

Jeffrey Mogul schrieb:

>     I haven't read the document in detail yet, but one thing that should be
>     considered is the choice of the new status code, 102. It collides with
>     the definition in RFC2518, a standards track RFC (see
>     <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2518.html#rfc.section.10.1>).
>
> Remember: there is an IANA "HTTP Status Code Registry", at
> <http://www.iana.org/assignments/http-status-codes>, so people
> should check this registry before choosing new status codes.
>
> Not that draft-decroy-http-progress-00.txt necessarily justifies
> one, of course.

I wasn't aware of the registry, nor were many other people I asked. It's
very well hidden in RFC2817 ("Upgrading to TLS Within HTTP/1.1").

So how about moving it into a separate spec for easier maintenance, and
better visibility?

Proposal at
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-http-status-registry-latest.html>.

Best regards, Julian