Re: i19 Bodies on GET (and other) requests

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 01:18:28 +0100
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
tis 2007-01-16 klockan 10:16 +1100 skrev Mark Nottingham:

> However, I think casual readers -- and some implementers -- have been
> tripped up because many method definitions are silent on the matter,
> and don't *explicitly* allow sending an entity-body. It might be
> clarified by changing "does not allow" to "explicitly disallows".

Agreed. It's after all what is meant.

> Also, devil's advocate;
> 1) What are the implications of an entity-body on GET for the caching
> model? The spec is silent on this AFAICT.

There is none. Implied from

4.3

   A server SHOULD read and forward a message-body on any request; if
   the request method does not include defined semantics for an
   entity-body, then the message-body SHOULD be ignored when handling
   the request.

> 2) Ditto for content negotiation.

See above.

But Vary covers it via the * should such uses arise.

> 3) Are there any existent origin server or intermediary
> implementations that are fully conformant with this requirement?

Apache (by default), Squid (if enabled). Quite likely many others.

Regards
Henrik