Re: extending status codes

* Robert Sayre wrote:
>I recently got into a debate with a colleague about whether it would
>be acceptable to use higher 5xx codes for custom status codes. I
>maintained no, it's a shared namespace, we shouldn't do that. But the
>response was "show me where it says you can't do that". To me it seems
>implied, but maybe it's not to someone who wants to Get Work Done as
>fast as possible by writing a switch statement on a number.
>
>Could we get a sentence explaining that adding status codes requires
>coordination?

RFC 2817 already states

   Values to be added to this name space SHOULD be subject to review in
   the form of a standards track document within the IETF Applications
   Area.  Any such document SHOULD be traceable through statuses of
   either 'Obsoletes' or 'Updates' to the Draft Standard for
   HTTP/1.1 [1].

What should be added, and where, in addition to that?