extending status codes

From: Robert Sayre <sayrer@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 14:13:35 -0400
To: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

I recently got into a debate with a colleague about whether it would
be acceptable to use higher 5xx codes for custom status codes. I
maintained no, it's a shared namespace, we shouldn't do that. But the
response was "show me where it says you can't do that". To me it seems
implied, but maybe it's not to someone who wants to Get Work Done as
fast as possible by writing a switch statement on a number.

Could we get a sentence explaining that adding status codes requires
coordination?

--

Robert Sayre