Re: [Ietf-caldav] [Fwd: draft-reschke-http-addmember-00]

From: Cyrus Daboo <daboo@isamet.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:49:30 +0000
To: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, CalDAV DevList <ietf-caldav@osafoundation.org>, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Hi Stefan,

--On February 17, 2005 5:34:02 PM +0100 Stefan Eissing
<stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de> wrote:

> It seems to me that however you solve the PUT/ADDMEMBER/POST problem,  it
> can be used to solve the MOVE and COPY scenarios as well, at least  for
> single, plain resources:
> PUT/ADDMEMBER/POST a new, empty resource -> 201 with Location
> COPY/MOVE to that new Location
> Would this work?

Well, it may be that the server requires some form of valid data to be
stored in some location. i.e. a calendar server may refuse to create an
empty resource as there has to be some valid calendar data there. That
means having to create a 'dummy' resource containing valid but not 'useful'
data, then overwrite that with COPY/MOVE. Of course that is ugly, but then
we are dealing with an ugly problem anyway, so maybe that is the best we
can do.

Cyrus Daboo