RE: Proposal for an HTTP ERR method

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Dare Obasanjo wrote:

> How does recommending a file extension actually solve the problem?

I think Jamie Lokier already explained that. A different extension
prevents origin servers from specifying misleading MIME type or, more
precisely, a MIME type with possibly incorrect (default) charset. See
the elements in the problem "chain" in my original e-mail.

Also, please note that I did not claim that something can solve the
problem.

> Specifically how does it solve the problem any better than just
> recommending a MIME type?

You will need to define your criteria of goodness for me to answer
this question. One difference between extension-based and
MIME-recommendation-based approach is that extension-based approach
works with existing origin servers. Another difference is that it does
not violate existing RFCs.

HTH,

Alex.