(unknown charset) Re: Proposal for an HTTP ERR method

From: (unknown charset) Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 10:35:42 -0600 (MDT)
To: (unknown charset) Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn@tigerstaden.no>
Cc: (unknown charset) Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org, Atom Syntax <atom-syntax@imc.org>

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, [iso-8859-1] Asbjørn Ulsberg wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 02:02:54 +0100, Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Nonethless, I suspect the correct fix in _this_ case is to change the
> > standards to admit that text/xml (with no charset) doesn't force a
> > us-ascii charset, because that's silly, and if an XML file starts with
> > an <?xml..?> declaration which specifies the encoding, _that's_ the
> > encoding of the file.  Just like text/html.
>
> Absolutely. That makes the most sense, especially since that's how
> many (most?) XML libraries already behave.

Have you read the arguments for ascii charset default in RFC 3023?
If those arguments are not correct, then somebody should consider
writing an RFC that obsoletes RFC 3023. If those arguments are
correct, then violating the RFC may not be such a good idea even if it
seems to solve the Atom problem.

Alex.