Re: Content-Range question

From: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:47:08 +0100
To: Mihail <hej@hot.ee>
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Mihail wrote:
> My question is whether the server has authority to specify
> Content-Range without the client's Range request and still hope that
> the content will be fully recieved?

From RFC 2616:

   10.2.7 206 Partial Content

      The server has fulfilled the partial GET request for the resource.
      The request MUST have included a Range header field (section 14.35)
      indicating the desired range, and MAY have included an If-Range
      header field (section 14.27) to make the request conditional.

Note the MUST.  If the request doesn't include the Range header, than
you must not issue a 206 response.  This is obvious, as many clients
don't understand Range at all.

-- Jamie