Re: Http overhead

Almost all modern browsers support content-encoding (gzip, for example), and
most servers can be pummelled into serving compressed content; actually,
I've seen a lot of activity around this recently, with vendors releasing
products to faclilitate compression on the server, or to move it to an
intermediary.

While not many Web sites are using compression, the number is growing, and
I've heard rumors of some Big sites playing with it on home pages, etc.
(haven't checked recently).

I've also heard rumors that browsers are starting to support
transfer-encoding.

<plug>see http://www.mnot.net/cgi_buffer/</plug>

--
Mark Nottingham