Re: Http overhead

From: John Stracke <francis@ecal.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:45:08 -0500
To: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
dillon@hns.com wrote:

>      The latest standard (HTTP 1.1) has provisions for compression and "chunked"
> transfers which change this, but I haven't seen these used in any real-world
> situations
> yet.

Apache will recognize a file with a ".gz" extension as gzipped, and send the
and uncompress the file.  Unfortunately, at least in my installation (Apache
1.3.14, Red Hat 7), Apache doesn't look at the extension before the ".gz" to get
the content-type; "foo.txt.gz" gets marked as Content-Type: application/x-gzip.

|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.   |
|eCal Corp.      |But how do we know destroying the Van Allen belt|
|francis@ecal.com|will kill all life on Earth if we don't try it? |