Re: Accept-Transfer header field (was HTTP/1.1 Issues: TRAILER_FIELDS)

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:57:40 PST
To: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Cc: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
"accept-" request headers are handled specially by the 'vary'
header response. Since this doesn't apply end-to-end and might
be introduced by an intermediate, I don't think that it should
be called "Accept-" anything. Roy's suggestion of making this
an option to 'Connection' might be reasonable, but I'm suspicious
of adding this last-minute feature into a Draft Standard.

Is there some way that having compression transfer encodings
as opposed to compression content-encodings could be
handled outside of the main HTTP draft, and moved forward
as a separate Proposed (or even Experimental) standard?

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter