Re: Age calculation in HTTP: two Internet Drafts

Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com> writes:

>I would like to resolve a long-standing controversy in the HTTP
>working group, by trying to assess the group consensus.
>
>    draft-fielding-http-age-00.txt
>       Roy Fielding, "Age Header Field in HTTP/1.1"
>
>    draft-mogul-http-age-00.txt
>       Jeff Mogul, "Generation of the Age header field in HTTP/1.1"

After reviewing both drafts and dredging my mail logs for the on-list
debate, I have to side with Jeff Mogul's take on the issue, both in
terms of analysis and in his recommendation of "Interpretation C".
I understand Roy Fielding's concern about heirarchical proxies and
bandwidth, but from my company's experience I have to believe that the
correct approach is to always return the right response no matter how
much bandwidth it wasted.

Ross Patterson
Sterling Software, Inc.
VM Software Division