Re: STATUS100 Re: Proposed resolution

From: David W. Morris <dwm@xpasc.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 14:33:26 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Cc: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> >        o  An origin server SHOULD NOT send a 100 (Continue) response if
> >           has already received some or all of the request body for the
> >           corresponding request.
>
> Likewise, inappropriate.  Recommendations should be presented as
> recommendations, not as requirements.

In my proposal, this point was only intended as an optimization permission
or recomentation. I didn't want to preclude a server which had the
information from bypassing the 100 (Continue) so I would be happy with
any wording which expressed the exception case allowing the omission.

Either:

     o An origin server need not send a 100 (continue) response if it ...
                                                        missing?   ^^
(which I agree feels like awkward wording) or:

     o It is not necessary for an origin server (or proxy) to send a
       100 (Continue) response if it has already received some or all
       of the request body for the corresponding request.

Dave