Re: Questions about i18n support in HTTP

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 22:01:31 PDT
To: vartan@eng.sun.com
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> I apologize in advance if the following question shows my lack of
> understanding of your latest spec.  :-)

> I am reading your draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-01.txt document which
> describes the HTTP 1.1 specification.

You're reading the wrong version. The current draft is
draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-06, and Section 2.2 is explicit about the
character set of request and response headers (most are restricted to
ASCII except those that use TEXT; those can be encoded using RFC 1522
rules), as well as your other questions. ("content-language" describes
the content, while accept-language describes the client's
preferences).

Larry