Re: Section 8.2

From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 96 14:03:34 MDT
To: John Franks <john@math.nwu.edu>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
    > The answer to the real question is "you can't, so don't bother to try."
    > Treat them all the same: when you get tired of waiting, give up.  Many
    > servers seem to use a timeout of about 20 minutes for this.
						^^^^^^^
    Is this a typo?  Wouldn't 20 seconds be more appropriate?
    That's what I use by default, though actually I vary it in some
    circumstances.  I suspect in the future servers may have heuristics
    to pick this time.

It's not a typo; I found it in the NCSA v1.3 httpd sources.  Maybe
my use of the word "many" is out of date; I haven't checked the
more recent sources.

Anyway, 20 seconds would be far too low for most servers.  But
this isn't an issue for the protocol spec, so let's not devote
any more email to it.

-Jeff