Re: Content negotiation and Vary (1.3, 12, 13.5, 14.43)

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 07:42:06 -0700
To: koen holtman <koenh@fatima.dds.nl>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> No, this matter is orthogonal to my problem.  The problem my new text
> intends to solve is that the old text implies that server-driven
> negotiation is only useful for selecting error response
> representations in _some_ cases.  This is misleading because it
> implies that agent-driven negotiation is usable for error responses,
> while it is not.

That is not true.  Agent driven negotiation is indeed usable for
error responses for the exact same reason that "click here to
get the English version of this message" is usable in error responses.
The second request in agent-driven negotiation is always a GET on
a different resource.

Note that this does not imply that it is useful on ALL responses --
only on those for which the content provider thinks it is useful.
The protocol has no say in that matter.

 ...Roy T. Fielding
    University of California, Irvine, CA 92717-3425    fax:+1(714)824-4056
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/